Recently, a small number of customers outside of North America have reported that their accounts were compromised. Upon investigation, we found that many of these users used the same name and password for their Square Enix Account as for another company’s online service which recently experienced a data breach. Knowing that many users use the same name and password for multiple services, it appears an unknown third party was able to gain unauthorized access to some Square Enix Accounts.
Accordingly, we advise that you take extra precautions to protect your Square Enix Account. In order to maximize security, we would like to remind you of these good practices:
* Do not use the same password for multiple online services
* Do not use repeated strings of characters, phone numbers, birth dates, or other similar information in your password
* Change your password regularly
* Do not use programs that put you at risk of malware
* Do not open emails or files when you do not know who sent them, and
* Do not access suspicious websites
By using a Square Enix Security Token with your Square Enix Account, you can greatly decrease the likelihood that your account will be compromised. We strongly recommend that you begin using one if you are not already doing so.
See the below URL for more information about Security Tokens.